Monday, March 21, 2011

Epitaph March: Week Three (2.01-2.06)

"This is the Dollhouse, frienemy"


I'm sorry this post is so late.  There was this thing with life and the deadlines and the . . . yeah . . . you don't care.  So on we go! Dollhouse season two, baby!

As much as I love season one I really love season two.  Paul is Echo's handler, Wesley Senator Perrin is out to bring down the Dollhouse (or is he), there's a terminator trying to kill the vampire slayer, and worst of all, Topher has feelings!  And that's just the first half of the season.

I don't think there is an episode in this batch that I don't find instantly rewatchable.  Though I must say, going wedding dress shopping right after watching Vows made me feel more than a little inadequate.  I love that several of these episodes center around characters other than Echo.  I really like Echo, but Dollhouse follows the same pattern as all of Joss' shows, we love the title character, but it's the development of the other characters that makes it so much fun.

I'm sure that if I put the call out for favorite episode from this batch a lot of people would say Belonging.  And I admit, I love that episode too, but I have to say my favorite is Belle Chose.  I mean, how can you not absolutely love Kiki?  She just feels like "dancin."  Even if she's in a man's body.  I forget how much I love Enver's acting until I watch season two.  His best impressions were in this week.  First as the lovable Kiki and then as Topher's "back door man."  I know I wasn't the only one who was a little crushed to hear that he did not get the part in the new season of Torchwood, but I know his talent won't go overlooked for long.

I don't have access to whatever Frank used to do those screen captures of our twitter feed last week.  Everyone who has joined us in the rewatch has had great observations.  I'm really excited to finish this out with all of you.

One last thing.  I linked this on our twitter page, but I wanted to clue you guys in to some of the academic side of the Whedonverse.  The online journal Slayage just celebrated its 10th anniversary.  It is an online academic journal that publishes PhD level articles about tv studies, primarily Buffy.  If you're interested I recommend reading this article about Belle Chose.  My English professor has it on her Chaucer class' syllabus.  How cool is that?!

Alright, time to get back to work.  Barely more than a week left until the comic!

-Faith

blog comments powered by Disqus
Echo Alert © 2011
[Posts RSS] | [Comments RSS]
Template Modified by Dane Davenport